Commission continues to ready for winter

With fall here the Adams County Commissioners continue to work on repairs on the buildings before the snow flies.Posted September 20, 2013

 

By JAMIE SPAINHOWER

Record Editor

 

With fall here the Adams County Commissioners continue to work on repairs on the buildings before the snow flies.

They accepted a bid from Twin Cities Roofing to fix a part of the roof of the NRCS building that is the oldest.

“They went ahead and made obvious repairs needed,” said Chairman Chuck Christman. “There aren’t very many companies that do these flat roofs.”

Part of the roof is more than 15-years old, and will be replaced with a black membrane substance and gravel. It is neither a tin nor shingled roof, so this is the process used.

The other side of the building was done more recently, said Christman and is in better shape. The bid was approved at $23,649 and will include replace insulation as needed, flashing of all walls and curbs, redistributing the exiting gravel (which is used as ballast) and installing new 24 gauge prefinished, colored metal wall cap flashing.

Other work includes some glazing and siding repairs at the library from the Memorial Day hailstorm.

“Everyone is so busy with big jobs it seems they don’t have time to do the small ones right now,” said Christman.

Many are interested in the job, which is estimated, to take only a few days, “We just can’t get anybody to commit,” he said. They will continue to follow up.

One job that was recently completed was the repair work on the north side of the FSA building where timbers had rotted and tree and bush removal was needed. Warren Randall told the board he had reused as much of the original railroad ties as possible.

The commissioners went out to look at the finished project, which only needs a small amount of clean up and the downspouts installed. The apple tree that remains was discussed, as there were apples everywhere, which they considered to be a hazard.

“You can’t eat these kind,” said Christman, “but when we asked which trees to save if we could this was the one voted on.” They will make arrangements while the fruit is dropping to have it swept from the sidewalk.

Possible K9 unit for sheriff’s department

Sheriff Travis Collins has submitted a law enforcement grant application for a new vehicle and a canine unit for the county.

If awarded, the grant will pay 75 percent, leaving the county’s responsibility 25 percent.

Collins stated extensive hail damage to the2004 Chevy Impala resulted in the car being deemed a total loss. The buy-back from Great Plains Insurance was $1104 and the commissioners voted to buy the car back.

 

In other business the board:

•Heard from a resident who would like a section line closed of a basically unused portion of road.

•Heard from Emergency Director Michelle Marthaller Adams County and Hettinger have been approved a “story ready” county and city. A presentation by the state will be mad to the commissioners at its next meeting, Oct. 3 at 11 a.m.

*Heard from ACDC Executive Director Jim Goplin on its community economic development plan.

•Set its next meeting for Thursday, Oct. 3 at 8 a.m. in the commissioner’s room at the Adams County Courthouse. The public is welcome and encouraged to attend.







GAMES