Grand River Roundup

The State/Tribal Relations meeting in Pierre Monday was short two members, Rep. Lee Qualm and Sen. Ernie Otten, but all the rest of us were able to attend.

Betty Olson COLUMN BOX 2The focus of this meeting was public safety and after an update by Sec. Steve Emery from the Department of Tribal Relations, we heard testimony from the Attorney General’s office and the Department of Public Safety. The federal government is in charge of law enforcement on the reservations and, to no one’s surprise, they simply aren’t doing the job. With the huge methamphetamine problem on many of South Dakota’s nine reservations, there is a need for cross-deputations with state law enforcement to help them deal with the crime wave associated with the Mexican drug cartels that have moved on to the reservations. Tribal members from the Rosebud and Yankton reservations gave updates on the public safety issues they are dealing with. Crow Creek and Cheyenne River were also scheduled to give updates, but they didn’t come.

Bryce came home from college in Chadron Monday evening and she and Missy went to Dickinson to see Lanie and her baby boy on Tuesday. I went to ladies aid at Slim Buttes Lutheran that afternoon that was hosted by Linda Mohagen. Taz and Amanda got home from their wedding anniversary trip to Hawaii Tuesday evening. Sounds like they had a wonderful time.

Wednesday was eighth grade graduation in Buffalo and the last day of school in Harding County. Trig and the other members of the Harding County track team went to Lemmon Thursday for the regional track meet.

Audrey (Leatherberry) Lane, age 89, of Bison, passed away on Wednesday at the Five Counties Nursing Home in Lemmon. Her funeral was Monday in Bison with burial in the Bison Cemetery. I’ve known Audrey and her family all my life. Her late son Tim graduated from Bison High School with me, her uncle, Melvern Eberhart, was married to my great aunt Cora Hallan, and Audrey’s mother, Myrtle (Eberhart) Leatherberry, was one of my favorite people.

Audrey’s family has our sympathy.

Amanda brought her little cousin Kaydence Gilbert home with her after work on Thursday to help plant her garden. I didn’t get to see either of them because I rode with Rep. Sam Marty to the candidate forum in Belle Fourche that evening. We left early in the afternoon so Sam could deliver some of his campaign signs, pick up some jeans from Pete’s Clothing, and have coffee and homemade rhubarb custard pie with his mom in Spearfish. Sam’s sister, Rep. Liz May, also came to the candidate forum. Liz joined us at Helen’s apartment and brought her mom two beautiful paintings to replace the paintings Helen lost in the house fire at the Marty ranch several years ago.

We branded another batch of calves Friday morning. Matt, Lanie and Trace came down from Dickinson that afternoon and we all went down to the Cadillac Ranch for the wedding of Jamie Britton and Ty Thybo. Lightening was flashing during the outdoor wedding, but thankfully the storm held off until after this sweet couple was legally married. The rain didn’t start until the huge crowd of friends, neighbors and relatives moved inside for the reception and then it just poured down.

We didn’t get any moisture here, but the wind was something else the next day. Saturday afternoon I decided to walk across the creek to visit with Lanie and the baby and I almost couldn’t walk against that horrible gale-force southeast wind, but if I had wheels I could have coasted back down the hill to our house.

The Doll girls, Janet Doll, Stacy Doll, Kelli Doll, and Katie Schuelke, hosted a baby shower for Lanie and Matt’s baby Sunday afternoon at Slim Buttes Lutheran. Little Trace got lots of nice baby boy stuff and you should have seen the goodies these girls cooked up for lunch! After attending the Thybo wedding and Trace’s baby shower, I’m convinced that this community has the most wonderful neighbors of any place on the planet!

I’ll leave you with this about what is expected of a new bride in different areas:

There were three men. The first man married a woman from Illinois. He told her that she was to do the dishes and house cleaning. It took a couple of days, but on the third day, he came home to see a clean house and dishes washed and put away.

The second man married a woman from California. He gave his wife orders that she was to do all the cleaning, dishes and the cooking. The first day he didn’t see any results, but the next day he saw it was better. By the third day, he saw his house was clean, the dishes were done and there was a huge supper on the table.

The third man married a ranch girl from South Dakota. He ordered her to keep the house cleaned, dishes washed, lawn mowed, laundry washed, and hot meals on the table for every meal. He said the first day he didn’t see anything, the second day he didn’t see anything, but by the third day, some of the swelling had gone down and he could see a little out of his left eye, and his arm was healed enough that he could fix himself a sandwich and load the dishwasher. He still has some difficulty when he urinates. Ordering ranch women around doesn’t usually work out very well.