I asked Stephanie Howe for a post season cross country assessment and as usual she always provides excellent comments.
By SHELDON CHRISTENSON
For The Record
I asked Stephanie Howe for a post season cross country assessment and as usual she always provides excellent comments. She is going a great job in building this program up. Her comments:
• We finished a great season. We placed as a team which is a first for Night Hawk XC. Our JV boys placed second at regionals with Levi Howard, Peyton Tuhy, Mitchell Dalley, and Brian Bartholmy! That was a great accomplishment for them. We had two kids compete at state Cale Schalesky and Sidra Sadowsky. Cale finished the season with a personal record, his fastest time over 3 seasons. Sidra was 10th to finish in the seventh and eighth grade division and she was 45th overall.”
• Sidra improved by two minutes and 31 seconds. She received the hardest worker award this year. She came out to practice every day and gave it her all. Although she is in eighth grade she ran mostly varsity races. Sidra has great potential in this sport. You can tell she runs with her heart. I can honestly say if she sticks with it and trains in the off season she has potential for top 20 at state. I believe she will make it in the top 10. She has the heart for this sport and it shows at each competition. I’m very proud of how well she has done in the past two years.”
• Peyton Tuhy improved by two min and 13 seconds. This was Peyton’s first year running XC. He came to practice every day worked hard and it showed in each competition. He shows a dedication to running and I believe he has a great future in this sport. Peyton also received the hardest worker award this year.
• Levi Howard improved by one min and two seconds. This was Levi’s first year running XC he did a great job. Levi runs because he loves to run. Sometimes competition will fuel kids in this sport, but his love for running is what he enjoys the most.
• Brian Bartholmy improved his time by three min and 16 seconds. Brian received our most improved award this year which was well deserved. Brian was always at practice and worked hard while he was there and it showed in his improvements.
• Morgan Hutzenbiler improved by two min and 43 seconds on the hardest course we ran all year. She did a great job at practice and even if she couldn’t make it she would make time to get a run in. She also received our Team Leader award. She did a great job in making sure everyone would warm up and get ready for each race all while cheering all the others on. Although I had only one season in cross country to see what she was capable of I am excited to see what she will do on the track this spring.
• Mitchell Dalley improved by one min and 23 seconds. This was Mitch’s first year running XC as well and he showed great effort and potential for the years to come.
• Cale Schalesky improved almost three minutes this season from prior seasons. Cale trained in the off season this year which really showed in his practices. He was able to really surprise himself in what he was capable of this season. His paces have always been around 7:15 to 7:30 per mile and he finished this season with an average pace of 6:31 per mile. A minute per mile is a great improvement.
“I’m very proud of each and every one of these kids and I can’t wait to see what the future holds for them in this sport.”