Region five football teams opened the 9-man season on Aug. 18 and combined for a 5-2 record. Shiloh’s first game is scheduled for Aug. 22 against Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood.
By SHELDON CHRISTENSON
For The Record
The following is a short synopsis on how each team did:
•Mott-Regent/New England took care of Tioga 66-6. Tioga was 4-4 last season in Region 6, they have 26 on roster with 10 sophomores and 9 freshmen.
•Beach defeated Ray-Powers Lake 40- 6. Ray-Powers Lake went 0-8 last season in Region 6 and provided Beach their only win last year. Clay Mattern rushed for 172 yards for Beach.
•Central McLean over Drake-Anamoose 58-22. Drake-Anamoose went 4-4 last season in Region 4. Their current roster has 14 players, five are freshmen. Central McLean’s Trapper Jacobs had a big day with three TDs and two TD passes.
•New Salem-Almont-Glen Ullin downed Kidder County 22-14. Kidder Co. went 4-4 last season in Region 3.
•Grant Co. lost to Strasburg-Zeeland 46-34. Strasburg-Zeeland went 2-6 last season in Region 3, and have 21 on the roster, 8 are freshmen.
•Richardton-Taylor-Hebron lost to Linton-HMB 40-20. Linton went 5-3 last season in Region 3.
Junior High coach Dave Erickson informed me that there are currently have 24 out for Junior High Football and their first game is Aug. 28 at Beach. Quite a difference in numbers compared to the last two or three years.
Sports schedule for the coming week is as follows:
– Aug 25, Varsity Football vs Central Mclean at Hettinger
– Aug 26, Varsity Volleyball Tourney at Killdeer
– Aug 26, Elementary Football vs Baker at Hettinger (10:00 AM)
– Aug 28, JH Football at Beach
– Aug 29, Varsity Volleyball at Killdeer
– Aug 31, Cross Country at Bowman
– Aug 31, Varsity Volleyball vs Grant Co. at Hettinger
– Sep 1, Varsity Football at Beach
– Sep 2, JH Jamboree at Hettinger
See you at the games.