Who would have thought? The Beach Buccaneers have started the 2017 football season with a 3-0 record after going 6-17 the past three seasons. After starting the season with a 40-6 win over Ray/Powers Lake and downing Richardton/Taylor/Hebron 28-14, they took on the Night Hawks at Beach and defeated them 56-38.
For the Record
Beach amassed 397 yards rushing and another 100 yards in the air. Clay Mattern of the Bucs had most of the rushing yards with 252. The Night Hawks had 205 yards rushing and 243 with their passing game. Isaiah Kludt tallied four touchdowns for the Night Hawks and Jaxon Mellmer had four TD passes and rushed for one. First downs went to the Bucs, 23-11, and they also won the time of possession by twelve minutes.
The Night Hawks so far are averaging 41 points a game but only hold a 1-2 record. Next up for them is Grant Co./Flasher at Scranton on Sept. 8. Beach will have their hands full with their next game in trying to maintain their undefeated status as they face undefeated New Salem/Glen Ullin at New Salem.
The second 2017 football poll for North Dakota’s 9-man division was released Wednesday, Aug. 30. Note: First Place Votes in parentheses.
1. Cavalier (10) 2-0 70
2. Shiloh Christian (4) 2-0 61
3. Wyndmere-Lidgerwood (2) 2-0 54
4. Thompson 1-1 23
5. North Prairie 2-0 16
Others Receiving Votes: Linton-HMB (2-0), New Salem-Glen Ullin (2-0), May-Port-CG (2-0), Divide County (2-0).
What rightly can be considered an upset the Bowman Bulldogs defeated Trinity 15-6 in their first game back in 11-man. Bowman’s first year head coach Todd Frie was hesitant to label it an upset, but it was no doubt an upset. The last two years the Bulldogs were 5-11 in 9-man.
The latest Class B boys and girls cross country polls:
Class B Boys Team: 1, New Town. 2, Rugby. 3, Hillsboro-Central Valley. 4, Beulah-Hazen. 5, Hatton-Northwood/Thompson.. Other receiving votes: Bowman County.
Class B Girls Team: 1, Hillsboro/Central Valley. 2, Rugby. 3, Bowman County. 4, Watford City. 5, Southern McLean. Others receiving votes: Hatton-Northwood/Thompson.
Two local South Dakota teams met up and Harding County came out on top over Bison 54-20. Both came into the game with 2-0 records.
Sports schedule for the coming week is as follows:
– Sep 7, Varsity Volleyball vs Beulah at Hettinger
– Sep 7, JH Volleyball vs Harding Co. at Reeder
– Sep 8, Varsity Football vs Grant Co. at Scranton
– Sep 9, Varsity Volleyball at Central Cass Tourney
– Sep 9, C Squad Volleyball at Bowman Tourney
– Sep 9, JH Volleyball vs Bowman & New England at Reeder
– Sep 9, Cross Country at Mandan
– Sep 9, JH Football Jamboree at Bowman
– Sep 11, JH/JV Football at Grant Co.
– Sep 11, JH Volleyball vs at New England
– Sep 12, Girls Elementary BB vs Mott-Regent at Hettinger
– Sep 12, JH Volleyball vs at Mott-Regent
– Sep 12, Varsity Volleyball at Harding Co.
– Sep 14, Girls Elementary BB vs New England at Scranton
– Sep 14, Varsity Volleyball at Belfield
– Sep 15, Varsity Football at Mott-Regent
– Sep 16, JV Volleyball Tourney at Richardton
– Sep 16, JH Volleyball vs Bowman & Harding Co. at Bowman
– Sep 16, Cross Country at Bismarck
See you at the games.