I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
The Night Hawk girl’s basketball team had a scrimmage against Flasher on Nov. 27.
By Sheldon Christenson
For the Record
Unfortunately, the NDHSAA does not allow a score to be kept in a scrimmage. But Coach Kelly Pierce provided the following analysis of the scrimmage. “The scrimmage went very well. We were able to confirm some strengths and weaknesses that we have. At this early point of the season, our offense is ahead of our defense, but the girls are working hard to become strong on both ends of the floor. As a team, we have a lot of little details we want to focus on to make us a better team. Having a chance to play against another team in Flasher is always nice as it hopefully confirms some of what Coach Kelner and I are seeing in practice. It is going to be a very fun season.”
The Night Hawk wrestlers opened their 2017-18 season at the Bowman quadrangular on Nov. 21. They were not really tested as they defeated New Town 66-12 and Watford City 59-12. New Town forfeited every weight class but two. I’m wondering why New Town even bothered to show up. Watford was able to fill nine weight classes but only won three of them. Only at 195 were the Night Hawks unable to fill a weight class. Bowman also defeated New Town 72-12 and Watford City 48-27. The Night Hawks will get tested this weekend as they travel to Mandan for their annual tournament where they are the only Class B school entered.
I found an interesting wrestling spreadsheet in the Dakota Grappler by an individual whose log-in is Dreamwood. Wrestlers were placed in the same weight class that they competed at the 2017 state meet. He removed all seniors and moved the remaining wrestlers up and gave them the points based on where they placed. Obviously a lot of wrestlers will be changing weight classes but it is an insight on the strength of teams. The top five teams with their points were Pembina Co. North (57), New Salem (51), Napoleon (49), Carrington (46) and Hettinger-Scranton (44).
Sports schedule for the coming week is as follows:
– Nov 30, JH Girls Basketball vs Bowman at Reeder
– Dec 1-2, Varsity Wrestling at Mandan Tournament
– Dec 1, Girls Basketball vs Strasburg at Linton
– Dec 2, Girls Basketball vs Linton at Linton
– Dec 2, JV Wrestling at Napoleon Tournament
– Dec 5,7 & 9 Girls Basketball at Roughrider Tourney at Killdeer
– Dec 8, Boys Basketball vs Strasburg at Linton
– Dec 8, JH Girls & Boys Basketball at Mott
– Dec 9, Boys Basketball vs Linton at Linton
– Dec 9, JH Girls & Boys Basketball at South Heart
– Dec 9, Varsity Wrestling at Rapid City Tournament
– Dec 9, JV Wrestling at Bowman Tournament
See you at the games.