Two Champions Crowned at Night Hawk Classic

After two day of quality wrestling, the HSRTH Night Hawks claimed two individual champions and a strong third place finish.

Posted January 10, 2013

After two day of quality wrestling, the HSRTH Night Hawks claimed two individual champions and a strong third place finish. The Night Hawks wrestled strong for two days and impress Coach Burwick with their overall effort.

“I think we made some strides today. We wrestled hard coming out of the Christmas break. This team is rounding into a formidable contender towards the end of the season,” Burwick said.

Overall, it be Moorcroft, Wyo. that took the team title and an impressive 309 points. The battle for second place went down to the wire between Linton and the Night Hawks. Linton eeked out second place finish by 1.5 points.

In individual action three Night Hawks entered at 106 pounds. Alec Andress finished pool play with a 3-2 record. His big win was against Jade Hepper of Watford City in tournament action. Andress finished in 6th place overall.

Cale Schalesky finished the tournament at 1-4, just missing the bracketed tournament. Meanwhile, Seth Wolf end up with a 0-5 overall record.

At 113, Lucas Ormiston finished pool play in second place. After falling in semi-final action, Ormiston exacted some revenge. Ormiston’s third place match was a pin over Logan Gumke, after falling to the Watford City wrestler early in the tournament. Ormiston’s 2nd place finish had him wrestling to his seed.

Chauncey Hughes represented the Night Hawks at 120 pounds. Hughes finished pool play with a 3-1 record, good enough for a second place finish and a spot in the semi-finals. He dropped his semi-final match but regrouped to get a win over Kenny Sisson of Moorcroft to secure 3rd place overall.

The Night Hawks first champion was Codi Tomac wrestling at 126 pounds. Tomac went undefeated in pool and secured the number one seed in the bracket tournament.

A quick pin in the semi-finals against Colten Jore of Watford City sent Codi to the finals. Tyrell Lawrence of Moorcroft was his opponent. It was a 7-2 decision that send Tomac to the 126 pound championship.

At 132 pounds, the Night Hawks Braxon Yates stepped onto the mat for the Night Hawks.

The youngster went 2-3 in pool play overall. Yates then drew Tate Allison in the consolation semi-finals. A tough loss by decision (7-3) ended Yates’ tournament just short of the placing matches.

Trevor Abrahamson, coming off an injury, saw his first tournament action of the year. The 138-pounder looked very tough overall. With a pool play record of 3-2, Abrahamson qualified for the consolation semi-finals.

Trevor defeat Quincy Stormer of Circle by pin and then Rylan Jacob of Linton by fall to secure 5th place overall. Abrahamson defeated several key Region IV opponents on the weekend, allowing him to possibly secure a high seed come region tournament time.

The Night Hawks enter three opponents at 145 pounds. Christian Hughes, Logan Lochowitzer, and Kilo Bowen wrestled very tough for Team Burwick. Hughes secured a spot in the semi-finals with a 4-1 pool play record.

Lochowitzer and Bowen both make the consolation semi-finals – unfortunately that match up was against each other. Bowen went on to defeat Lochowitzer and finish in 6th place overall. Meanwhile, Hughes dropped his semi-final matchup to Brock Nagel of Linton. He rebounded nicely with a very physical 10-4 decision over Austin Garmann of Watford City and a 3rd place finish.

Rodney Vanhoff claimed the championship at 152 pounds. The Hebron native had a very impressive tournament. He pinned his way through pool play and get a nice pin in the semi-finals over Brad Wagner of Moorcroft. In the championship, VanHoff dominated Jared Schumacher of Linton by a 10-5 decision.

James White took to the mat at 160 pounds. Wrestling up two weight classes was too much for James. He finished pool play 0-2 and then default out of the bracketed tournament to secure 6th place overall. Colby Steeke also end up defaulting out of the tournament due to injury but not before getting a win in round one.

In a unique situation, only three wrestlers were at 195 pounds. Denby Lueck be one of them. Lueck ended up with a 0-3 record. Two losses, however, were very close decisions. Denby ended up with third place overall.

At 220, Josh Osei wrestled his first varsity tournament. Josh end up with a 0-4 record and 5th place in the tournament.

Finally at 285, Brandon Ehlers had an impressive tournament in his own right. He came out of pool play with a perfect record and the #1 seed.

A thrilling semi-final victory over Jake Hildebrandt of Beach could have been the match of the tournament. The 5-4 win in sudden victory really got the crowd going. Ehlers finish in second after a loss in championship action.

HSRTH next action will be at the very tough Cowboy invite in Miles City next Friday and Saturday.


Add Comment