Grand River Roundup

Cold enough for you? We’ve been asked that several times this week and the answer is always “Way too cold!” These last two weeks have been absolutely frigid with lots of snow and temperatures below zero every day.

Guest Columnist

The coldest it got here was -29 degrees when we got up Friday morning and it shows no signs of warming up. We sold our heifers in Faith last Monday. It was a pretty good sale, but the drive down and back was chilly with a high of -15 degrees!

  Casey and Missy went in to Buffalo that afternoon and when they came home in the dark, Casey pulled my trick and smashed their car up when he ran into two deer. The car does not look good!

  Reub and I went to RZ Motors in Hettinger on Tuesday to get the big grill guard put on the pickup so I can avoid deer damage again. On the way to town we went by several deer in the ditches, but thankfully I didn’t hit any of them. We got to have a good visit with Jerry Palczewski while they were putting the grill guard on.

  The Slim Buttes ladies quilted at the church this Wednesday and I finally got to join them. They are mainly working on some beautiful lap robes to take to the nursing homes and hospitals to help keep people warm. The ladies planned to quilt again on Thursday, but I wasn’t going to be able to make it because Reub had an appointment with Dr. Rice in Rapid City that day.

  Because of the terrible weather on Thursday, all the schools were closed around here and Dr. Rice’s office called to tell us not to come down there because of the icy roads and terrible cold. We were supposed to get our taxes done in Rapid City day too, so we called and postponed the tax appointment until next week. Hopefully it will warm up before then.

  Little Knox gave us quite a scare Friday morning. He woke up from his morning nap just screaming and then started to get really lethargic and kept nodding off. It was hard for Amanda to keep him awake and alert because there was obviously something very wrong. Missy called the Hettinger ambulance and she and Amanda tore out of here with Knox to meet the ambulance to take him to the emergency room. The doctor diagnosed him with double ear infection and after they gave him some medication he started to snap out of it. Knox and Amanda stayed in the hospital overnight and Grandma Starla brought Grandma Missy home that evening while Great Grandma Louise entertained Miss Copper at her house until Starla took Copper home to spend the night. Knox was a lot better by Friday morning so Amanda was able to bring him home, thank God!

  Bill Vroman got out of rehab this week and he and Verona have moved to Judy’s Assisted Living Center in Belle Fourche.  Roger Nash is also out of rehab in Belle Fourche and Judy brought him home on Saturday. We’re thankful that both Bill and Roger are doing much better.

  Robert Burke, 68, passed away at home at Sundance, Wyoming, on February 1st after a courageous battle with cancer. Bob’s funeral services was Saturday at the Sundance High School Gymnasium in Sundance and he was buried at Inyan Kara Cemetery in Sundance.

  Mel Carlson, 79, formerly from Ralph, passed away in Dickinson last Sunday. His funeral was Wednesday in Dickinson and his burial will take place in Ralph at a later date.       

  Delores Sexton, 78, from rural Bison, died last Monday at the West River Regional Medical Center in Hettinger. Graveside services for Delores will be held at 2:00 p.m. on Thursday, February 14, at the Chance Cemetery south of Meadow with Rev. Harold Delbridge officiating.

  These families have our sympathy.

  The happy news for this week was the marriage of Brian Glass and Chelsey Tifft. Congratulations to the newlyweds!

  Sunday evening was movie night at Slim Buttes Lutheran viewing the movie “The Star”. It’s a children’s movie for all ages. There were a lot of kids who came to watch it and several of us old kids who also really enjoyed both the movie and the popcorn that Joe and Karen Wilkinson furnished along with a lot of other goodies that several women brought. It was a really fun night.

  Clark Blake sent me this a few years ago:


  The Washington Post

  The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot, according to a report to the Commerce Department yesterday from Consulate, at Bergen, Norway.

  Reports from fishermen, seal hunters, and explorers all point to a radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone. Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes.

  Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the gulf-stream still very warm. Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones, the report continued, while at many points well-known glaciers have entirely disappeared.

  Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while vast shoals of herring and smelt which have never before ventured so far north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds. Within a few years it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea will rise and make most coastal cities uninhabitable.

* * * * * * * * *

  I apologize, I neglected to mention that this report was from November 2, 1922, as reported by the AP and published in The Washington Post – 96 years ago.

  Dang that pesky global warming.