Team North Dakota lost to Team Montana 41-14 after leading 14-0 at half time in the 26th annual Knights of Columbus Badlands Bowl at Miles City on June 15.
For the Record
Montana has now won the Badlands Bowl eight out of the last nine meetings and improved its winning streak to five. Montana has won 20 of these games to only six for ND.
Hettinger-Scranton’s Babe Ruth pulled out a 9-8 win over Bowman on June 19.
Cade and Ty Warbis teamed up to throw a no-hitter in a 12-2 legion win over New Salem. Post 115 Bears secured the victory thanks to seven runs in the fourth inning. Their offense in the inning was led by Warrick Dilse, Mason DeFoe, T. Warbis, Bo Wilson, Parker Krebsbach and C. Warbis, each had RBIs in the inning.
Tom Mix, NDHSAA Media Specialist, listed NDHSAA’s Most Memorable Moments & Stories from 2018-19. The following are just a few that I picked out:
– Hettinger/Scranton senior Kyle Burwick wrapped up his prep wrestling career with another individual state championship. Burwick scored a tech fall over Chandler Nagel of Linton/HMB in the 126-pound Class B championship match. Burwick, a University of Wisconsin signee, finished his season 54-0. He became just the sixth prep wrestler in state history to win five or more individual state titles.
– Other highlights from the state wrestling tournament included Dickinson becoming the first team other than Bismarck High and West Fargo High to win a Class A Team Dual State Championship. Bismarck High won its second straight Class A Team Individual State Championship. Lisbon won the Class B Team Dual State Championship and its third consecutive Class B Team Individual State Championship.
– The Thompson Tommies ended their reign in 9-man football with their second state championship in three seasons as they defeated New Salem/Glen Ullin 42-28 in the NDHSA 9-man Division football state championship game. The Tommies are moving up to Division A in 2019 so this win was a big lift for the program as it prepares for the transition.
– The 2019 NDHSAA Class B Girls Basketball State Tournament was hosted at the Betty Engelstad Sioux Center in Grand Forks for the first time. The venue is exclusively a basketball arena and proved to be a perfect fit for the Class B Girls Basketball State Tournament. The tournament field included Trenton, Hettinger-Scranton, Rugby, Shiloh Christian, Langdon Area/Edmore-Munich, Kidder County, Thompson and Kindred. An announced crowd of 3,387 fans watched the championship session on Saturday, March 2 – a new facility attendance record for Betty Engelstad Arena. Kindred defeated Rugby 49-47 in the championship game. It is Kindred’s second state championship in three seasons.
Sports schedule for the coming week is as follows:
– June 27, Little League and Coach Pitch Baseball at Scranton
– June 27, Babe Ruth Baseball vs Belfield/South Heart at Hettinger
– June 28, Post 115 Legion Baseball vs Belfield/South Heart at Hettinger
– June 30, Post 115 Legion Baseball at Dickinson
– July 1, Babe Ruth Baseball at Beulah
See you at the games.