Grand River Roundup

This is going to be short and not very sweet this week. I had my left knee replaced last Wednesday and I’m trying to recover, but so far it’s not going so well.

Betty Olson
Guest Columnist

The week started on a happy note with the Community Hymn Sing at Slim Buttes Lutheran Sunday evening with some great Christian music and a nice lunch afterwards.
I had my pre-op appointment in Spearfish on Tuesday and got there a little early so I stopped up at the High Plains Western Heritage Center to let them know that we wouldn’t be having our Great Western Cattle Trail meeting on October 10 like we’d planned because my knee surgery was going to keep me laid up for a while. They just had a bus tour arrive from Indiana so Karla asked if I would speak to them about western South Dakota. My grandfather Clem White came to South Dakota from Fort Wayne, Indiana to cowboy in the Slim Buttes before the Homestead Act. There were lots of folks that live in Fort Wayne on the bus and they were really interested in hearing about Grandpa’s life out here.
Reub had to come with me for my surgery on Wednesday, but if we had known how bad the snow storm we had to drive through was going to be, we’d probably have stayed home. We left about 9:00 that morning just as it was starting to snow here and ran into some nasty weather really fast. I was driving and it was hard to keep the pickup from sliding off the highway with all the snow and ice even with 4-wheel drive. A semi was stalled out trying to get up a hill south of the Slim Buttes and I barely made it around the semi to get over the hill. It’s a good thing we left home early because we could only travel about 30 mph to keep from getting stuck or sliding off the road. There was hardly any snow when we got to Belle Fourche and none in Spearfish, but Casey thought we had 8 inches here.
The surgery went well Wednesday afternoon and Reub was able to drive me home Thursday afternoon after meeting with the doctor and doing physical therapy. I was pretty much pain free until it attacked me early Friday morning and it’s been pretty miserable ever since. Dennis Nash called to tell me it was going to get better. He’s probably right, because he’s had both of his knees replaced and is getting around really well.
We lost two very dear friends this week. Esther (Eggebo) Palmer, 95, formerly from Bison, passed away October 4th in Rapid City. Her celebration of life was Sunday in Rapid City with a graveside service Monday afternoon at the Prairie City Cemetery. Esther was a good friend of my mother’s and was raised in the Glendo community. Esther and her family lived in Bison and she made our wedding cake when Reub and I got married.
Linda Otis called us Saturday evening to tell us that her father, Bill Vroman, 93, passed away that afternoon in Belle Fourche. Bill and Verona ranched in Harding County for many years before retiring to Buffalo. They moved to Belle Fourche after having some health issues and lived at Belle Estate down there. Every time I had a history question, Bill was who I would call to get the answer and he always had one. Losing Bill is like a library burning down and I’m really going to miss him.
Taz and Amanda left Friday morning for the circuit finals in Minot this weekend. Casey helped Bill Holt preg test his cows and Reub waited on me all day. Casey and Missy went to Lemmon for the football game that evening to watch Harding County win.
Casey and Missy left Saturday morning to watch Taz in the circuit finals in Minot and Reub kept busy waiting on me. He had to run to Reva to get ice for my ice machine I use to ice my knee and picked up some pizza since he is doing the cooking too.
Reub went to church be himself Sunday morning because my knee didn’t want me to leave the recliner and the ice machine. Taz and Amanda and the little people got home Sunday night and brought us another bag of much needed ice that I was really glad to get!
I’ll leave you with this ‘getting older’ joke:
A distraught senior citizen phoned her doctor’s office. “Is it true,” she wanted to know, “that the medication you prescribed has to be taken for the rest of my life?”
“Yes, I’m afraid so,” the doctor told her.
There was a moment of silence before the senior lady replied, “I’m wondering, then, just how serious is my condition because this prescription is marked ‘NO REFILLS’.”

Add Comment