Randy Burwick provided me the following info on his son Kyle: ‘Kyle wrestled in his first college wrestling tournament on Nov. 2nd in Stevens Point Wisconsin at the Pointer Open. He finished 2nd at 133, losing a tight 4-3 match in the finals. He won his first match 16-0 won his semifinal match 12-3. A Great effort for him in his first college tourney.”
For the Record
Matt Berlin (Oak Creek, Wis./Oak Creek) won the 133 bracket by going 4-0 on the day. He won his first match by tech fall and pinned Matt McEnroe from UW-Oshkosh in the second round. Berlin won an 8-1 decision to move to the finals where he got by Kyle Burwick of the University of Wisconsin in a 4-3 decision. Burwick was a five-time state champion in North Dakota and the No. 4 recruit in the nation.
The No. 5 Wisconsin wrestling team began its 2019-20 campaign at America’s Favorite City Dual, taking on Fresno State and Army. Wisconsin won both duals heading into the Battle on the Midway. Wisconsin defeated Fresno State with 31-8, but Army proved to be a tougher battle for the Badgers as UW edged the Black Knights in the final bout of the dual, 16-15. Up next was the Battle on the Midway at the USS Midway Museum in San Diego on Nov. 1. The Badger wrestling team improved to a perfect 3-0 after defeating the Naval Academy, 24-12, to earn the Dual for Valor trophy on the deck of the USS Midway.
After defeating Rapid City Christian 80-8 and Hamlin 46-30, the Lemmon Cowboys football team advanced to the SD Class 9AA semi-finals against #1 seeded Viborg-Hurley scheduled for Nov. 8. Harding Co. is also in the SD 9B semi-finals and will face Herreid/Selby Area. They previously defeated Dupree, 52-0, and Kadoka Area, 38-26.
VALLEY CITY, N.D. – Each Friday NDHSAA Media Specialist Tom Mix posts several NDHSAA Fun Facts on the NDHSAA NOW site. Here are a few:
– The 2019 NDHSAA Dakota Bowl Football Championships are set for November 15 at the FARGODOME.
– The 2019 NDHSAA Volleyball State Tournament will be held November 21-23 at the FARGODOME.
– Sargent Central (9-man), Des Lacs-Burlington (Class B), West Fargo (Class A) won state titles at the 1st Dakota Bowl in 1993 #NDHSAA
– Carrington defeated Watford City 24-0 in the 1981 NDHSAA Class B football state championship game.
– Beulah defeated Mayville-Portland 20-0 in the 1989 NDHSAA Class B football state championship game.
– Parshall defeated Cooperstown 16-12 in the 1983 NDHSAA 9-man football state championship game.
– Hankinson defeated Underwood-Riverdale 24-7 in the 1991 NDHSAA 9-man football state championship game.
Sports schedule for the coming week is as follows:
– Nov 9, Semi-Finals of 9-Man and Division A Football Playoffs
– Nov 11, 12 & 14, Region 7 Volleyball Tourney at Trinity
– Nov 15, Boys & Girls JH Basketball vs New England at Reeder
– Nov 15, Boys Elementary Basketball vs Mott-Regent at Hettinger
– Nov 16, Boys JH Basketball at Bowman
See you at the games.